General Submission Guidelines
Thank you for your interest. Moko publishes short stories, poems, interviews, essays, reviews of books, art, photography, and other types of visual media. Any academic articles requiring extensive bibliographic references should be submitted to other journals.
- We only accept online submissions.
- No multiple submissions. Please withdraw and resubmit if you wish to add to a submission.
- If submitting simultaneously and your work is accepted elsewhere, please notify us by withdrawing your submission.
- Only submit, unless otherwise agreed beforehand, original and unpublished manuscripts. Work should not be previously published anywhere – including your personal website, blog, or social media.
- Moko will retain the rights to your work for the first 90 days, after which rights revert to you and your work is archived on our site.
- If the work you publish with us is used in a collection, we would appreciate an acknowledgement as is customary.
- We try to respond as quickly as possible but, as this is a labour of love for us, please allow us at least 90 days.
Our goal is to publish the best possible work while encouraging Caribbean creators to continue to develop their craft by providing an outlet for that work to be seen. At this time, we do not accept any hard copy submissions. All submissions should include a brief biography along with your contact information. Please follow the guidelines for your respective discipline closely.
Poetry, Fiction, Essays
All writing for Moko should be double-spaced with one-inch margins in a Word (.doc) file. For poetry, submit 3-5 poems in a single document. For all other writing you may submit up to 3,000 words.
All images for Moko should be submitted in jpg format. You may submit 4-5 jpgs no wider than 480 pixels for portrait and no taller than 480 pixels for landscape. Each image should initially be under 250kb and should be accompanied by a brief description in the cover page. Larger file sizes will be requested once images are accepted for publication or you may send us Dropbox or other filesharing links. The same guidelines apply for photography submissions as well as photography of art submissions. Videos should be first uploaded to Vimeo or Youtube and proof of authorship must be included in the cover letter.